All On 4® Dental Implant Treatment Concept
According to the American College of Prosthodontists, about 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. Thirty-six million people in the U.S. do not have any teeth at all. If you fall into the latter category, you have come to the right place!
At Woodcreek Dental, we specialize in several full-arch replacement options for patients missing all or most of their teeth. One of our most common treatments is All-on-4, a complete fixed prosthesis supported by a series of dental implants. This immensely beneficial treatment concept has revolutionized the way we replace missing teeth.
What Is the All-on-4 Treatment Concept?
A dental implant is a small titanium screw that mimics the root component of a missing tooth. A single implant is used to support a crown, while a series of implants can be used for a partial or complete fixed denture. In the past, a complete fixed prosthesis required a minimum of six to eight implants per arch.
All-on-4, as you can probably guess, is a fixed denture that only requires four implants. The two posteriors (back) implants are placed a precise angle to maximize the support of your jawbone. The two anterior (front) implants are placed at a vertical angle like conventional implant screws.
As with any implant procedure, the All-on-4 process begins with a consultation. During your consultation, Dr. Mike Wygant will use advanced dental technology to perform a series of diagnostic tests to ensure you are a suitable candidate for implant treatment. This may include x-rays, photographs, CBCT scans, and other 3D imaging technology.
Most people healthy enough to undergo minor surgery should qualify for All-on-4. Unlike other implant treatment, All-on-4 does not typically require preliminary procedures like bone grafts or sinus lifts. Once we determine that All-on-4 is right for you, we can schedule your procedure.
Before your surgery, we typically use 3D imaging to establish the precise placement of each implant. Next, we will make four small incisions in the gums to expose the underlying bone and place the implants. We usually need to drill four tiny holes in the jaw to ensure each implant is deeply embedded.
Once the implants are in place, we will attach the abutments, support structures that link the screws to your restoration. Then, we may install a prefabricated temporary restoration. All-on-4 is one of the few implant treatments that allow for same-day restoration placement. Most implant-supported restorations need to be placed at a later date.
It is important to note that the first restoration we place is temporary. Once the healing process is complete, we will take an impression of your mouth and fabricate a permanent fixed bridge. Most All-on-4 bridges are made from porcelain or zirconia.
Benefits of All-on-4 Dental Implants
- Superior Appearance: Your new restoration should look just like a set of real teeth! Porcelain and zirconia possess the same light-reflective properties as natural enamel.
- Superior Function: Unlike traditional dentures, your All-on-4 restoration will look, feel, and function just like your natural teeth. Thanks to the implants, your denture will never slip or irritate the gums.
- Superior Durability: Implant-supported restorations have an unmatched level of durability, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and comfort.
- Superior Longevity: With the proper care and maintenance, implants last several decades without the need for replacement or repair. In some cases, your restoration could even last a lifetime!
- Superior Oral Health: Perhaps the most important benefit, implants stimulate the jaw and prevent bone deterioration. This allows you to maintain better oral health and a more youthful facial appearance.
Schedule Your Consultation Appointment
Find if you, too, could benefit from the All-on-4® Treatment Concept! Call (805) 482-6389 to schedule your consultation appointment now!